About Man FRM
Founded in 1991 and acquired by Man Group in 2012, Man FRM is a hedge fund investment specialist with $12.1 billion of funds under management (as at 31 March 2016) and a predominantly institutional client base.
Man FRM has an open architecture, full service hedge fund platform including commingled fund of hedge funds, customised and advisory solutions and outsourced research and consulting, all which can be enhanced by Man FRM’s managed account platform.
Man FRM’s 58 research and investment professionals are based in London, New York, Tokyo, Guernsey and Pf ffikon. Further information can be found at www.frmhedge.com.
Purpose of the Role
FRM is seeking a Senior Risk Manager, based in London, to join its Investment Risk Team. This team is with providing independent oversight of the risks within FRM’s portfolios and investments. This involves a maintaining a broad overview of markets developments, how they impact hedge fund investments and creating/defining techniques to measure the impact on FRM’s investments. This process will include extensive use of FRM’s leading managed account platform, the handling of extensive daily position level across all asset classes and the use of FRM’s risk analytical platform.
The successful candidate is likely to have a background in risk management gained either at an asset manager or a hedge fund.
A key aspect of the role is that the analyst will also have important client facing responsibilities.
The successful candidate will be responsible for communicating his/her investment views in both verbal and written format to internal and external audiences. Among other things this will involve making presentations directly to clients and also at the monthly FRM Risk Committee. We are looking for someone who is also comfortable with presenting clearly and succinctly to sophisticated institutional investors details both of FRM’s risk processes and also of current portfolio positioning.
- Forming an independent view of the risks inherent in FRM’s investments and identifying risk issues that are developing in the markets
- Assisting the CIO and PMs to understand portfolio risks, define appropriate course of actions and assisting with the implementation
- Analysing the performance and risks of FRM’s investments, as required, and identifying any risk issues as they arise
- Meeting hedge fund managers across all strategies prior to FRM’s investment to understand their strategies, risk culture and architecture to ensure they are suitable for FRM’s investment
- Enhancing FRM’s risk methodologies to ensure that risk management best practice is followed
- The analysis of position level data across all asset classes (equities, FX, fixed income, commodities, credit etc)
- Responding to risk limit breaches and determining the most appropriate course of action
- A broad understanding of the hedge fund universe and working knowledge of the major hedge fund strategies
- Detailed knowledge of at least one hedge fund strategy
- Broad cross asset class coverage, with detailed knowledge of at least one asset class
- Knowledge of both cash instruments and derivatives
- Knowledge of the standard list of risk methodologies including VAR, stress tests, scenario analysis, liquidity analysis
- Understanding of portfolio risk analysis
- Interact and question hedge fund CIOs or senior portfolio managers and risk managers (CRO level) on risks and positions within their strategy
- Succinctly and clearly summarise and communicate thoughts on managers positioning, market events, portfolio risk both verbally and in writing
- Articulate clearly FRM’s risk management philosophy and capabilities to clients
- Proficiency in the use of standard desktop applications, with experience of risk management software and reporting tools
- The analyst will be expected rapidly to develop expertise in our risk and reporting systems, and to contribute to the ongoing improvement of those systems
- Experience in RiskMetrics preferred
Man Group is one of the world’s largest independent alternative investment managers, and a leader in liquid investment strategies. Across its four investment managers (Man AHL, Man FRM, Man GLG and Man Numeric), Man Group has diverse hedge fund strategies and long only products spanning equity, credit, managed futures, convertibles, emerging markets and multi-manager solutions. At 31 March 2016, Man Group’s funds under management were $78.6 billion.
The original business was founded in 1783. Today, Man Group plc is listed on the London Stock Exchange under the ticker EMG.L and is a constituent of the FTSE 250 Index.
Man Group also supports many awards, charities and initiatives around the world, including sponsorship of the Man Booker literary prizes. Further information can be found at www.man.com.
How to Apply
Please visit the company website and login to apply.
Please quote the "HFM Jobs Board" in the subject line of your application