The Alternative Investment Management Association Limited (AIMA) wishes to recruit an Analyst for the Tax Affairs team. The position is full time (but candidates wishing to work part time will be considered) and based in AIMA’s London office, working with AIMA’s Global Head of Tax Affairs. Salary will depend upon qualification and experience. Knowledge and experience gained from working at a professional firm, a financial services sector firm or in a governmental agency are probably advantages, although not requirements.
AIMA is the global trade association representing much of the alternative investment fund industry. The role of the Tax Affairs team is to develop AIMA’s tax policy and work on tax developments which may affect the industry globally. The work of the Tax Affairs team spans OECD and EU tax developments with international impact, such as BEPS, automatic exchange of tax information and transparency issues, as well as jurisdictional issues such as the taxation of partnerships, carried interest and performance fees, securities withholding taxes and the introduction of investment management and fund taxation regimes. The successful candidate will work on various projects, usually with the assistance of working groups made up of AIMA members, and would be expected to assume personal responsibility for specific work streams. In addition, there is an increasing advocacy role in putting forward the industry’s case to policy makers and regulatory authorities.
The position is an excellent opportunity to help shape the taxation regimes in multiple jurisdictions as they apply to the fund management sector and to manage new developments in policy and law at a time of change in the global financial services industry as well as domestic and international tax systems.
Role, title and salary dependent on experience.
Plus discretionary bonus, private healthcare, life assurance, generous pension plan and interest-free travel loan (after probationary period).
- as part of a small team, working closely with AIMA’s Tax Committee and AIMA’s senior management, to develop projects and strategic positions on key areas of concern to the membership in relation to tax affairs
- engagement and advocacy efforts with national and international policymakers and fiscal authorities on behalf of the hedge fund industry
- managing working groups of AIMA members
Core experience and knowledge
- knowledge of UK and/or US tax systems and their relationship to issues affecting the asset management industry, gained at an accounting or law firm or within the asset management industry
Additional experience and knowledge preferred in the areas of:
- the financial services/hedge fund industry and key stakeholders
- economics and the debate regarding taxation of the asset management industry and potential future developments
- structures and priorities for the alternative investment fund industry in the main financial centres
- legislative process (UK, EU or more broadly)
- knowledge of the general regulatory environment affecting the asset management industry
Professional skills required:
- ability to understand and analyse the impact of tax law, across multiple jurisdictions
- analytical, structured approach to often detailed and technical issues
- strong and articulate communications and drafting skills – ability to convey clear, simple communication of often complex messages
- ability to learn and adapt to new areas quickly and independently (especially given the global dimension of the hedge fund industry)
- accountancy or tax qualification preferred, although not a requirement
- team player – ability to work with members and working groups
- independent/self-starter – ability to take on a project and independently see it through
- diplomatic but persuasive negotiator
- a flexible mind set where the situation demands a new approach or new thinking
How to Apply
Please send your CV and covering letter to Paul Hale, Managing Director and Global Head of Tax Affairs (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Ongoing eligibility to work in the United Kingdom is required.
Please quote the "HFM Jobs Board" in the subject line of your application