Are hedge funds ahead of the curve in their use of innovative technologies? The media’s intense coverage of technological disruptors such as bitcoin and artificial intelligence might suggest so, but the reality is, as ever, a little more complicated. HFM’s latest Insights report, Disruptive Technologies 2017, seeks to measure the uptake and use among hedge fund managers of three important technologies: alternative data, machine learning, and blockchain. Is the media’s coverage reflective of actual on-the-ground uptake? We answer this question and more, seeking trends in the types of manager taking the plunge and the reasons other managers are staying on the side-lines.
In the report:
- 18 data exhibits utilising proprietary HFM data sources and new research
- The opinions of a range of hedge fund CTOs and IT decision makers
- Data on the types of firm using – and not using – disruptive technologies
- In-depth analysis of the cryptocurrency-hedge fund boom in 2017
- A series of tech-themed predictions for 2018; and much more